Skip to main content

Each year, thousands of immigrants around the world travel to the U.S. as tourists, investors, or workers. According to the Department of Homeland Security, in 2020, around 2 million foreigners migrated to the United States in search of better job opportunities.

But you may ask yourself, how can I also migrate to the U.S. in search of better opportunities? What are the temporary worker visas that I can apply for? In our blog article, we will provide you with the answers to these questions.

  1. H-1B Visa: specialty occupation workers
    With the H-1B visa category, U.S. employers are allowed to temporarily employ workers that perform services in a specialized field of work, of exceptional merit (in the cultural or economic sector), or with development or research projects on behalf of the Department of Defense. Fashion models of distinguished ability are also qualified to apply for this visa.
  2. H-2A Visa: temporary or seasonal agricultural workers
    The H-2A visa category is intended for workers that offer their services -temporary or for certain seasons- in those industries where there aren’t enough U.S. workers available, willing, or even qualified to carry out specific job descriptions.
    With these visas, agricultural companies, farmers’, and producers’ organizations’ employers are the ones that request work visas to incorporate and fulfill the quota of workers they need.
  3. H-2B visa: temporary non-agricultural workers
    Just like the H-2A visa, the H-2B visa is for those who are willing and qualified to temporarily work in the U.S. to fulfill job vacancies in other industries that are unrelated to the agricultural sector, which means virtually any time of “temporary” job would qualify.
    With the H-2B visa, U.S. employers must file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker to allow them to come to the U.S. to start working with them. However, they must comply with the H-2B cap that Congress allocates each fiscal year for noncitizens.
  4. L-1A Visa: Intracompany transferee executives or managersIf you’re looking to transfer high executives and wish to boost your market, you should consider the L-1A visa which allows an employer to relocate an executive or manager from one of their overseas offices to the U.S. With this employment-based visa category, you are able to finally finish up that business deal or establish an office in the United States.
  5. L-1B Visa: intra-company transferees with specialized knowledge
    This visa category is intended for U.S. employers that are willing to transfer an employee from one of their overseas branches to the U.S. due to their specialized knowledge. The L-1B visa is also useful for companies that want to have a physical presence in the U.S. market by sending workers to start establishing an office here.
  6. O Visas: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
    Whether you’re an athlete that wants to participate in a U.S. sporting event or an artist that has an art performance or exhibition in a museum, a research scientist opening up new frontiers, or even a movie director that has been invited to a U.S. film festival, the O Visa will allow you to travel to America.
    The O Visa, as its name states, is intended for those individuals with extraordinary abilities in science, arts, education, business, or athletics. Also, family members such as spouses and children, along with other individuals that assist them in a specific event and performance, are eligible to apply for this visa category with the original petitioner.
  1. R-1 Visas: Nonimmigrant Religious Workers
    With the R-1 visas, foreigners that are temporarily staying in the U.S. with the intent to work at least 20 hours per week as a minister or in a religious vocation, can qualify for this category. However, they must prove that they have been a member of a non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two years before filing a petition.
  2. TN Visas: Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional Workers
    When the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was agreed upon, special economic and trade relationships were created between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. This led to the creation of the TN visa, in which Canadian and Mexican citizens are allowed to seek temporary entry to the U.S. to engage in business. Examples of Professionals that are eligible to apply for the TN Visa are:
  • Accountants
  • Engineers
  • Pharmacists
  • Teachers
  • Lawyers
  • Scientists
  • And many more

These eight temporary work visas will allow you to pursue better job opportunities in the U.S. If you feel that you are eligible to apply for any of these visa categories or are not sure which employment-based process is right for you, we can help you! Call us today at (404) 844-4634 to schedule a consultation.