Skip to main content

For those seeking a safe haven from persecution in their home countries, asylum can provide relief and protection. In order to qualify for asylum, a person must be unwilling or unable to return to his or her home country because of past persecution that person suffered, or a well-founded fear of future persecution. It is important to note that the persecution a person has or will suffer must be because of:

  1. Race
  2. Religion
  3. Nationality
  4. Membership in a particular social group, or
  5. Political opinion
Asylum cases rely heavily on documentation to support a person’s claim of persecution or fear is because of one of the listed protected grounds. It is important to note that people with general fear of dangerous country conditions, or people who have been involved in private disputes should not apply for asylum. It is also important to note that immigration will review your case to determine if you could avoid persecution in your home country by simply moving to a different part of the country, and whether one’s own government might be able to protect you from harm.
If you think you might have a claim for asylum, please contact the attorneys at Kuck Immigration Partners. You will need to discuss your case in depth and in person with an attorney to determine if you have a solid case. When you meet with the attorney, you should bring any documentation you might have that supports your claim of fear. The attorneys at Kuck Immigration Partners have years of experience in handling a broad range of asylum cases from all parts of the world. You should feel confident in knowing that you will be getting the best advice possible on whether you might qualify for asylum.
Since 1990, the U.S. government has provided several countries with Temporary Protected Status (TPS). TPS is a temporary status granted to individuals from countries that are dealing with emergencies such as war or natural disasters. The idea behind TPS is that the return of the individual to his or her country would place that at danger or risk such that the U.S. government will provide the individual with a temporary way to remain safely in the U.S.

The U.S. government, the Department of Homeland Security specifically, has designated citizens of the following countries eligible for TPS, assuming they are otherwise eligible:

  • El Salvador
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • South Sudan
  • Syria

If you are from one of the listed countries you may be eligible to apply for TPS, provided you also:

  • Establish continuous physical presence in the US since the effective date of the TPS designation for your country
  • Do not have certain criminal convictions
  • Timely apply for TPS during the specified registration period
  • Establish continuous residence in the US
Once TPS has been granted, an individual will be provided a work permit for the length of time TPS has been designated. Individuals who obtain the work permit can also apply for travel authorization in certain circumstances, and they could be allowed to travel outside the U.S. It is important to note that if you have obtained TPS, you MUST pay close attention to expiration dates and renewal periods since if you miss a renewal period, you may not be able to recover your TPS.
If you think you may qualify for TPS, please contact Kuck Immigration Partners at your earliest convenience to discuss your case with our experienced immigration attorneys.


What is TPS?

The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country’s nationals from returning safely. The Secretary may designate a country for TPS due to the following temporary conditions in the country: ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster (such as earthquake or hurricane), or an epidemic, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions.

TPS is a temporary benefit that does not lead to lawful permanent resident status or give any other immigration status. However, registration for TPS does not prevent you from: applying for nonimmigrant status, filing for adjustment of status based on an immigrant petition, applying for any other immigration benefit or protection for which you may be eligible.
What are the benefits of TPS?

Individuals who are TPS beneficiaries:

  • Are not removable from the United States
  • Can obtain an employment authorization document (EAD)
  • May be granted travel authorization
  • Cannot be detained on the basis of his or her immigration status in the United States.

Benefits of employment authorization include:

  • Legally working by filing Form I-9 with an employer
  • Obtaining a Social Security Number
  • Obtaining a driver’s license and state identification
Who is eligible for TPS?

To be eligible for TPS, you must:

    • Be a national of a country designated for TPS
El Salvador Somalia
 Haiti  Sudan
 Honduras South Sudan
 Syria  Nicaragua
  • File during the open initial registration or re-registration period, or you meet the requirements for late initial filing during any extension of your country’s TPS designation
  • Have been continuously physically present in the United States since the effective date of the most recent designation date of your country
  • Have been continuously residing in the United States since the date specified for your country.The law allows an exception to the continuous physical presence and continuous residence requirements for brief, casual and innocent departures from the United States

You may NOT be eligible if you:

  • Have been convicted of any felony or two or more misdemeanors committed in the United States
  • Are found inadmissible as an immigrant under applicable grounds in INA section 212(a)
  • Participated in the persecution of another individual or engaged in or incited terrorist activity

What documents are required?

Identity and Nationality Evidence

You will need a copy of your passport, a copy of your birth certificate, accompanied by photo identification, or any national identity document bearing your photograph or fingerprint issued by your country, including such documents issued by your country’s Embassy or Consulate in the United States.

Date of Entry Evidence

You will need a copy of your passport, I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, or copies of documents specified in the ‘Continuous Residing Evidence’ section below.

Continuously Residing Evidence

  • Employment Records
  • Rent receipts, utility bills, receipts or letters from companies
  • School records from the schools that you or your children have attended in the U.S.
  • Hospital or medial records concerning treatment or hospitalization of you or your children
  • Attestations by church, union or other organization officials who know you and where you have been residing