Skip to main content

Is there a family emergency where you need a relative to come to the U.S.? Humanitarian Parole might be the answer

By January 12, 2016No Comments
A few months ago we met with a lawful permanent resident who unfortunately was diagnosed with cancer.  That’s devastating news to anyone. Naturally, her mother offered to come to Georgia to help with her grandchildren and daughter during treatment and recovery.  Her husband needed to continue working to cover their needs and the growing medical bills, which meant that they needed family to help. The only problem is that her mother lives in Mexico and she needs a Visa to travel to the U.S.
Her mother immediately applies for a Visa to come to the U.S. to help her daughter for a few months. She submits all the documents requested and waits for her interview at the U.S. consulate in Mexico. After all the wait they denied her Visa, she was not allowed to travel to the U.S. That’s when the daughter called our office.
At that point we pursued Humanitarian Parole on behalf of the mother. The application was filed from the U.S. and within 2 months of applying the mother was able to enter the U.S.. She was allowed to travel to the U.S. and stay for 6 months with the opportunity to request a 6 month extension.
Like this family, you may be in a unique circumstance that would qualify for certain exceptions within the law. Do not hesitate to contact us with your questions so that we may better assess your case. 
Jorge Gavilanes