Skip to main content

Babies of Green Card Holders

What should you do if you are a green card holder and you give birth to a child outside of the United States? You may have realized in horror that it will take somewhere between 7 and 17 years to sponsor your child to come to the United States even if you file a petition for him before you leave the delivery room. Luckily, as long as you are admissible as a lawful permanent resident and your child is under the age of two- he will be issued an I-181 (record of permanent residence) upon entry into the United States. Most ports of entry will require your child to have his own passport and a valid B (tourist) visa. The US embassy will require evidence that you are a green card holder, your child’s passport and his birth certificate. Children born to lawful permanent residents inside the United States are of course citizens.