Skip to main content

Parole in Place (PIP) is a discretionary option offered by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for immediate family members (spouse, parent, or child) of active-duty or veteran U.S. military personnel. PIP allows eligible individuals to remain in the U.S. and adjust their immigration status without leaving the country, even if they initially entered without inspection or have an expired visa.

Here’s a general outline of the process to obtain Parole in Place:

  1. Determine eligibility: First, ensure that you are eligible for PIP. You must be an immediate family member (spouse, parent, or child) of an active-duty or veteran U.S. military service member, reservist, or National Guard member. Additionally, you must not have any serious criminal convictions, security concerns, or other factors that would make you ineligible for PIP.
  2. Gather supporting documents: You will need to collect various documents to support your PIP application. These may include:
    • Proof of your relationship to the U.S. military service member, such as a marriage or birth certificate
    • Military service records for the U.S. military service member
    • Proof of your identity, such as a valid passport or national ID card
    • Two passport-style photographs
    • Any other relevant documents or evidence that demonstrate your need for PIP, such as affidavits, letters of support, or evidence of hardship
  1. Complete Form I-131, Application for Travel Document: Fill out and submit Form I-131, along with the supporting documents mentioned above, to USCIS. Note that the form must be filed without the typical fee for parole requests, as PIP applicants are exempt from the fee.
  2. Submit the application package: Mail your completed Form I-131 and supporting documents to the appropriate USCIS office, as per the form instructions. Ensure that you keep copies of all documents submitted for your records.
  3. USCIS review and decision: USCIS will review your application and may request additional information or schedule an interview if necessary. The decision on your PIP application is discretionary, and USCIS will consider factors such as family ties, military service, and any adverse factors when making their decision.
  4. Receive a decision: If your application is approved, you will receive a parole document granting you Parole in Place. This allows you to remain in the United States and, if eligible, apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident without having to leave the country.
  5. Apply for adjustment of status: If you are granted PIP and are eligible to adjust your status, you can submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, along with the required supporting documents and fees.

Keep in mind that this is a general outline, and the specific process may vary depending on your situation. It is highly recommended to consult with an experienced immigration attorney at Kuck Baxter for guidance on your individual case.

If you would like further information or to discuss a potential case, please call our office at 404.816.8611 to set an appointment with one of our experienced immigration attorneys, or you schedule your consultation online here.